TerraCycle® has created the Cell Phone Brigade®, a free recycling program for cell phones, as well as a fundraising opportunity for participants.
Participating is completely free and very easy. There are no signup or participation fees, and the shipping is covered by our brand partner. Simply follow the steps below to recycle your waste with us:
- Join the program by clicking on the black button at the top of the sidebar.
- Collect cell phones and fill up a box or bag. Remember that your shipments must contain at least 15 phones to receive the TerraCycle point donation.
- Download a free shipping label from your TerraCycle account. Click "Get Shipping Label" under the "Send Your Waste" option in the navigation bar at the top of this page.
- Ship the box to TerraCycle by affixing the free shipping label and dropping it off at a UPS location.
The following types of phones are accepted through the Cell Phone Brigade.
Cell Phone Brigade accepted waste:
- Standard cell phones
- Smart phones
Please note that house/portable phones, phone chargers, or loose batteries are NOT accepted through this program.
Also, we accept both working and non-working phones, but the number of points you earn will differ depending on how broken or damaged your phone is. Completely broken phones that are in multiple pieces will not earn any TerraCycle points.
TerraCycle points are an added incentive to our recycling programs. Please read the information below about earning TerraCycle points for this specific Brigade program.
- Your shipment must contain at least 15 phones.
- For each approved working cell phone received, your collection location will be awarded the following TerraCycle points:
Standard phones - 30 points
Smart phones - 600 points
iPhone 3 and below - 250 points
iPhone 4 and above - 1,000 points
- For each non-working phone received, your collection location will be awarded 30 TerraCycle points. A non-working phone has a broken or bleeding screen, water damage, or does not power up.
TerraCycle points can be redeemed for a variety of charitable gifts, product bundles, or a payment of $0.01 per point to the non-profit organization or school of your choice. For more information on our points program, click here.
- Cell Phone Brigade Accepted Waste Poster
- BlackBerry Smart Phone Model List
- How to Host an E-Waste Drive Guide
- Your E-Waste Drive Flyer
- Your E-Waste Drive Press Release
- Cell Phone Brigade Poster
- Cell Phone Brigade FAQ
- Collect, Store, and Ship Guide
Information Destruction: Please restore your device to factory settings and/or remove any personal information prior to sending through this Brigade program. TerraCycle is not responsible for information on your devices. Hard drives will be removed and shredded. All information from electronics is removed.