Cell Phone Brigade® - FAQ
- What is acceptable through the Cell Phone Brigade?
We will accept all brands and sizes of used cell phone. Please note that house/portable phones, phone chargers or loose batteries are NOT accepted through this program.
For each approved cell phone received, your collection location will be awarded the following TerraCycle point donation:
- Standard Cell Phone – 50 TerraCycle points
- Smart Phone – 750 TerraCycle points
- iPhone 3 and below - 500 points
- iPhone 4 and above – 1,000 TerraCycle points
- Who can sign up for the Cell Phone Brigade?
- We welcome anyone from almost any organization to join in our recycling efforts! There are some practical considerations your organizations should keep in mind. For example, our program is not designed to accommodate recycling centers.
- Which states can participate in the TerraCycle Brigades?
- TerraCycle Brigade programs are open to all U.S. States EXCEPT for Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico. If you live in Alaska ,Hawaii or Puerto Rico and sign-up for a Brigade, your account will be automatically deactivated and your location will notbe able to print or request labels. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have brigade programs running in those states and territories in the future.
- What do I need to sign up for the Cell Phone Brigade?
You will need to provide 1) a contact person to oversee the Cell Phone Brigade at your location and 2) a valid email address and 3) a valid mailing address. If you choose to redeem your points towards a non-profit or charity of your choice, you will also need the mailing address and contact information for the 501(c)3 charity and its Federal Tax ID number. (Please note: The federal tax ID number will be formatted XX-XXXXXXX, please be sure that you do not have the state sales tax exempt number).
If you do not have your own charity, you can choose to redeem your points towards one of TerraCycle's charitable gifts.
- Can my school or organization sign up more than once?
- No. Each individual and organization, including schools or student groups at a school or university, can only have one Cell Phone Brigade account. Any additional accounts will be suspended. However, more than one brigade can benefit a single school. If you have any questions please contact email@example.com
- What if my information changes or needs to be updated?
- If for any reason you need to change or update your information, please select the PROFILE tab (located on your account) and then simply click "Edit My Profile". If you still need assistance or have questions please contact Customer Support at 1-866–967–6766 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Is there a minimum/maximum amount of cell phones to collect before my school or charity will receive a check?
- You will need to collect at least 15 accepted phones to receive the TerraCycle point donation. You can redeem your points at any time for one of TerraCycle's charitable gifts, or towards a cash donation (check) to any non-profit or charitable organization, including schools. Please keep in mind that there is a minimum of 1,000 points or $10 needed for a cash donation. Cash donations are mailed directly to the charity, twice a year in June and December. All cash donations requested between May 1st and October 31st will be disbursed in December. All cash donations requested between November 1st and April 30th will be disbursed in June.
- I've sent collections in to benefit a charity. Why didn’t I receive a check?
- You must redeem your points for a cash donation via your account in order for a check to be disbursed to the charity of your choice. Please note, there is a minimum of 1,000 points or $10 needed for cash donation. Cash donations are mailed directly to the charity, twice a year in June and December. All cash donations requested between May 1st and October 31st will be disbursed in December. All cash donations requested between November 1st and April 30th will be disbursed in June.
- I forgot to select a charity during sign up. Can I still select one?
Yes. You can select, add or change your preferred charities via your account on the TerraCycle website. Simply log into your account at www.terracycle.net and click on the "IMPACT" tab. To add a new preferred charity to your account, please select the "Manage Charities" link. Please note that during the check out process when redeeming points, you will also be given a chance to choose an existing charitable gift and update or change your preferred charities.
You can also call 1-866-967-6766 or email email@example.com with the charity name, address, contact person and Tax ID #.
- Do I have to pay for shipping?
- Nope! You will be able to print pre-paid UPS shipping labels from our website through your online account. This will bring your Cell Phone Brigade collections back to our factory to be recycled into TerraCycle other products! You win, we win, and the environment wins!
- How do I ship the cell phones back to TerraCycle?
Option 1 (Eco-Friendly way!): If you already have a reused box or bag, you can download your own pre-paid UPS return label by clicking the red “SHIP YOUR WASTE TO US” icon located on your account and select the Cell Phone Brigade under the drop down menu. Print the pre-paid label and affix to the reused box or back and drop off at a local ups drop off location.
Option 2: You can also have us ship 2 UPS pre-paid return labels, by clicking “Send Me Mailing Labels.” Your pre-paid return labels will be shipped to your address. Please allow 3 to 4 weeks for delivery time. Delivery times may vary depending on your location.
- Is there a limit to how many pieces of packaging I can send in?
- There is no limit to the amount of cell phones you can send in. Remember you will need to send in at least 15 cell phones in one shipment in order to receive the TerraCycle point donation. As long as you have been sending in a slow, steady stream, you are doing well.
- I checked my status. Why is it incorrect?
- Please check back frequently to see your status update. If there is a serious problem with collection status please call Brigade Services at 1-866-967-6766 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- How much will my organization be paid for cell phones?
Each piece your location sends in will earn the following TerraCycle point donations:
- Standard Cell Phone – 100 TerraCycle points
- Smart phone – 750 TerraCycle points
- iPhone 3 and below - 500 TerraCycle points
- iPhone4 and above – 1,000 TerraCycle points
- We are done collecting for the Cell Phone Brigade, can we unsubscribe?
- Please log into your account on the TerraCycle website. Select the “BRIGADES” tab and then the option “Remove this Brigade” located under the Cell Phone Brigade.
- What condition do my cell phones have to be in?
- Your cell phones do not have to be working, but they cannot be so broken as to be unrecognizable.
- What is your policy on information destruction?
- We ask that you please restore your device to factory settings and/or remove any personal information prior to sending through this Brigade program. TerraCycle is not responsible for information on your devices. Hard drives will be removed and shredded. All information from electronics is removed.