Brigade: Cheese Packaging Brigade
Timeline: June and July
Prize: 250,000 TerraCycle points, $2,500 towards a Barbecue Bash, two Kraft grills, recycled outdoor furniture, and upcycled products
How to Win: Be the top collector overall or be the top collector in your region.
Kraft® Cheese has partnered with eco-innovator TerraCycle® to provide a second life for cheese packaging by converting these waste materials into fun and unique products!
Every time you buy a cheese product with flexible, plastic packaging (such as string cheese) you and your organization can help divert this waste from our landfills by sending it to TerraCycle. For each approved item received your collection location will be awarded two TerraCycle points, which can be redeemed for a variety of charitable gifts, or for a payment of $0.01 per point to the non-profit organization or school of your choice. Please click here to learn more about the TerraCycle Points Program!
Participating in a TerraCycle Brigade is totally free! There are no signup or participation fees, and the shipping is covered by the program. Once you have joined the Cheese Packaging Brigade, simply follow the steps below to earn your TerraCycle points:
- Collect enough approved flexible cheese packaging to fill up a box or bag (approved waste is listed below). Remember, the waste does not need to be cleaned or stacked, and always try to reuse a shipping box or bag!
- Download a pre-paid shipping label from terracycle.com. To acquire a pre-paid label, simply access your TerraCycle account online, and click “SHIP US YOUR WASTE”. You can print them out yourself or request that TerraCycle send the label.
- Ship the box to TerraCycle by affixing the pre-paid postage label and dropping it off at a UPS location.
For more detailed information please check out the Cheese Packaging Brigade FAQ.
And to make collecting all your waste that much easier, download our helpful TerraCycle "Collect, Store and Ship Guide" for some tips and tricks that will make the collection process simple and mess-free. Also check out our Cheese Packaging Brigade Poster to help promote your efforts in this recycling program.
Check out the image below to see some examples of the types of waste that are accepted through this Brigade program. You can also download this as a poster.
Cheese Packaging Brigade accepted waste:
- Large flexible cheese packaging, such as shredded cheese packaging, string cheese packaging, individual slices outer packaging, solid cheese block packaging, Kraft Fresh Takes packaging, deli-style sliced cheese packaging and other large cheese packaging
- Individual cheese packaging such as individual slices packaging, individual string cheese packaging, and other individual cheese packaging
- Foil cheese packaging
Please note: TerraCycle accepts rigid cheese packaging as well, check out our Dairy Tub Brigade for more information.
The program is generously sponsored by Kraft Singles, Kraft String Cheese, Polly-O String Cheese, Kraft Natural Cheese, Cracker Barrel Cheese, Velveeta, Kraft Grated Parmesan and all other delicious Kraft Cheese products. You can enjoy any of these cheeses and rest easy knowing that these brands care for the environment as much as you do and have provided a solution for their waste.