Hot Cereal Brigade - FAQ
- What kinds of packaging are acceptable?
- Hot Cereal Brigade accepted waste: Better Oats® hot cereal pouches, I Love Oats® hot cereal pouches, and any other brand of hot cereal pouches
- Who can sign up for the Hot Cereal Brigade?
- We welcome anyone from almost any organization to join in our recycling efforts! There are some practical considerations your organizations should keep in mind. For example, our program is not designed to accommodate recycling centers.
- Which states can participate in TerraCycle Brigade programs?
- TerraCycle Brigade programs are open to all U.S. States EXCEPT for Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. If you live in Alaska, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico and sign-up for a Brigade, your account will be automatically deactivated and your location will not be able to print or request labels. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have brigade programs running in those states and territories in the future.
- What do I need to sign up for the Hot Cereal Brigade?
You will need to provide the following:
- A contact person to oversee the Hot Cereal Brigade at your location
- An email address
- A mailing address
If you choose to redeem your points towards a non-profit or charity of your choice, you will also need the mailing address and contact information for the 501(c)3 charity and its Federal Tax ID number. (Please note: The federal tax ID number will be formatted XX-XXXXXXX, please be sure that you do not have the state sales tax exempt number). If you do not have your own charity, you can choose to redeem your points towards one of TerraCycle's charitable gifts.
- Can my school or organization sign up more than once?
- No. Each individual and organization can only have one Hot Cereal Brigade account. Any additional accounts will be suspended. However, more than one brigade can benefit a single school. If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What if my information changes or needs to be updated?
- If for any reason you need to change or update your information, please select the PROFILE tab (located on your account) and simply click "Edit My Profile." If you still need assistance or have questions, please contact Customer Support at 1-866–967–6766 or email email@example.com.
- How much will my organization earn for pouches sent through the Hot Cereal Brigade?
- Each pouch your location sends in will earn 2 points. Hot cereal pouches will be counted based on weight, using .008 lbs. as the average weight.
- Do I have to pay for shipping?
- Nope! You will be able to print pre-paid UPS shipping labels from our website through your online account. This will bring your Hot Cereal Brigade collections back to our factory to be up-cycled into TerraCycle products! You win, we win, and the environment wins!
- How do I ship the packaging back to TerraCycle?
- You have two options for acquiring your pre-paid UPS return label. To either print, or have a label mailed to you, start by clicking the “SHIP US YOUR WASTE” button from your profile and selecting Hot Cereal Brigade under the drop down menu. You will then be presented with two options:
- Option 1: Print the pre-paid label by selecting the “PRINT MY SHIPPING LABEL NOW” icon, and affixing it to your shipping box and dropping it off at a local UPS drop-off location.
- Option 2: You can also have us ship 2 UPS pre-paid return labels, by clicking “SEND ME A SHIPPING LABEL.” Your pre-paid return labels will be shipped to your address. Please allow 3 to 4 weeks for delivery time. Delivery times may vary depending on your location.
- Is there a limit to how many hot cereal pouches I can send in?
- There is no limit to the amount of packaging you can send in. We ask that you completely fill a box with hot cereal pouches before shipping. As long as you have been sending in a slow, steady stream, you are doing well.
- I checked my status. Why is it incorrect?
- Please check back frequently to see your status update. If there is a serious problem with your collection status, please call Brigade Services at 1-866-967-6766 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We are done collecting for the Hot Cereal Brigade, can we unsubscribe?
- Please log into your account on the TerraCycle website. Select the “BRIGADES” tab and then the option “Remove this Brigade” located under the Hot Cereal Brigade.
- Is there a minimum/maximum amount of packaging to collect before my school or charity will receive a check?
- You can redeem your points at any time for one of TerraCycle's charitable gifts, or towards a cash donation (check) to any non-profit or charitable organization, including schools. Please keep in mind that there is a minimum of 1,000 points or $10 needed for a cash donation. Cash donations are mailed directly to the charity, twice a year in June and December. All cash donations requested between May 1st and October 31st will be disbursed in December. All cash donations requested between November 1st and April 30th will be disbursed in June.
- I've sent collections in to benefit a charity. Why didn’t I receive a check?
- You must redeem your points for a cash donation via your account in order for a check to be disbursed to the charity of your choice. Please note, there is a minimum of 1,000 points or $10 needed for each cash donation. Cash donations are mailed directly to the charity, twice a year in June and December. All cash donations requested between May 1st and October 31st will be disbursed in December. All cash donations requested between November 1st and April 30th will be disbursed in June.
- I forgot to select a charity during sign up. Can I still select one?
Yes. You can select, add or change your preferred charities via your account on the TerraCycle website. Simply log into your account at www.terracycle.net and click on the "IMPACT" tab. To add a new preferred charity to your account, please select the "Manage Charities" link. Please note that during the checkout process when redeeming points, you will also be given a chance to choose an existing charitable gift and update or change your preferred charities.
You can also call 1-866-967-6766 or email email@example.com with the charity name, address, contact person and Tax ID #.