Jewelry Brigade® - FAQ
- How do you calculate the value of my jewelry items?
We calculate the value of your gold, silver, and platinum based on 3 factors:
- The price of gold, silver, or platinum based on the London PM Fixing price on the date of settlement.
- The karat content of your gold, which is a percentage of 24 karats. 10 karat gold contains 41.6% gold, 14 karats contains 58.3% gold, 18 karats contains 75% gold, and 24 karat gold contains 99.9% gold.
- The actual pennyweight (DWT) of your items.
- Is there a limit to how many pieces of jewelry I can send in?
- There is no limit to the amount of jewelry you can send in.
- How long does it take to get paid?
- Whether you opt for a standard check or PayPal™, Wire Transfer, Overnight Check, we will issue your payment within 24 hours after we notify you of your settlement, unless you decline. Your payment will be received much more quickly, and in cleared funds, if you select Wire Transfer or PayPal™ deposit. Please note that an Overnight Check requires a shipping fee of $23 that will be deducted from your settlement and payment via Wire Transfer or PayPal™ incurs a fee of $4.99 that will be deducted for all settlements under $200.
- Can I change my payment method?
- Sure, just log in and select the payment method you desire before a settlement has been reached.
- I checked my status. Why is it incorrect?
- Please check back frequently to see your status update. If there is a serious problem with collection status please call at 1-888-465-3138 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What is the value of the TerraCycle points I earn from participating in the program?
- Within one week of your acceptance of our offer, we’ll add TerraCycle points equivalent to 2% of the purchase price to your TerraCycle account. For a cash payment to an organization of your choice, the value of 1 TerraCycle point is $0.01. So, if you sell your jewelry for $500, you will receive 1,000 TerraCycle points. You can redeem this for a $10 cash payment to the charity of your choice, or you can redeem the points for a variety of charitable gifts. For example, you can provide a meal to a hungry American (through Feeding America) for 50 points and you can plant a tree (through Arbor Day Foundation) for 300 points.
- What happens if I am unhappy with the amount of my settlement and I want my items back?
- If you elect to decline our offer before payment has been issued, we will ship your items back to you at our cost. Even after payment is issued, you will have 10 days from the date you received the offer to contact them via email or telephone if you wish to decline the settlement, and to return the payment. When we receive the payment back within 10 days, we will return your items at no cost to you, insured for the value of your settlement offer.
- How do I know I can I trust your program?
When you sign up with TerraCycle for the Jewelry Brigade, you can track your items all the way from pickup to payment through your account on www.terracycle.net. Once your package arrives, we will appraise the jewelry, post an offer and contact you. If you are not happy with your offer, we will return your goods. No questions asked.
Additionally, the Jewelry Brigade is a partnership between TerraCycle and SellYourGold.com, which has earned a reputation of trust within the industry. You can browse previous customer reviews for SellYourGold.com here.
- Do I have to pay for shipping?
- No. You will be sent a pre-paid FedEx envelope from our website through your online account. This will bring your Jewelry Brigade collections back to be appraised.
- What if I am sending bulky or highly valuable items?
- Give us a call at 1-888-465-3138 and a representative we will arrange for FedEx® come to your home or business to pick it up.
- What types of items are not acceptable?
- Non-precious metals, plastic, pearls, gold plated items, gold filled items, costume jewelry, semi-precious stones, and old silverware are not acceptable through the Jewelry Brigade.
- How can I tell if my items are gold, platinum, or silver?
The easiest way to determine what type of precious metal you have is to look for an official seal revealing it. Any one of these markings indicates that your jewelry is precious:
- For 10 karat gold - 10k, 10kt, 416
- For 14 karat gold - 14k, 14kt, 585
- For 18 karat gold - 18k, 18kt, 750
- For silver - STERLING, 925, SILVER
- For platinum - 950PT, Platinum, 950PT
- 1/10 GF means that the item is gold filled and is not solid gold. We do not accept items that are filled or marked in this manner.
- Vermeil refers to gold plating on sterling silver items and is valued as silver.
- Who can sign up for the Jewelry Brigade?
- We welcome anyone over the age of 21 to join in our recycling efforts.
- Which states can participate in this TerraCycle Brigade?
- The Jewelry Brigade® is open to all U.S. States except Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico.
- What do I need to sign up for the Jewelry Brigade?
You will need to provide 1) a valid email address 2) a valid mailing address and 3) a valid phone number.
If you choose to use your TerraCycle points for a range of great charitable gifts (like planting trees, feeding people, providing drinking water, preserving precious wildlife lands), no other information is needed. If you choose to redeem your points to give cash to a charity of your choice, you will also need the mailing address and contact information of the 501(c)3 charity and its Federal Tax ID number. (Please note: The Federal Tax ID number will be formatted XX-XXXXXXX; please be sure that you are not providing state tax-exempt number).
- What if my information changes or needs to be updated?
If for any reason you need to change or update your information, please select the PROFILE tab (located on your account) and then simply click "Edit My Profile".
If you still need assistance or have questions please contact Customer Support at 1-866–967–6766 or email email@example.com.
- I forgot to select a charity during sign up. Can I still select one?
Yes. You can select, add or change your preferred charities via your account on the TerraCycle website. Simply log into your account at www.terracycle.net and click on the "MY IMPACT" tab. To add a new preferred charity to your account, please select the "Manage Charities" link. Please note that during the check out process when redeeming points, you will also be given a chance to choose an existing charitable gift and update or change your preferred charities.
You can also call 1-866-967-6766 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the charity name, address, contact person and Tax ID #.
- How do I use my Appraisal Kit to recycle my unwanted or broken gold, platinum, silver, precious gemstones, and/or fine watches?
Your Appraisal Kit will arrive in a standard business envelope. It will include three items:
- An inventory card with a unique tracking code. This form contains a unique bar code so you can track your shipment from settlement offer to payment.
- A high security Tyvek™ Return Envelope, which is insured against loss or damage for up to $1,000 and includes a pre-paid FedEx® shipping label. Insurance up to $50,000 is available for larger shipments. With FedEx®, you will be able to track your shipment so you know exactly when your items have been delivered to our processing facility. Several other companies offering to buy jewelry by mail limit their liability to $100 and use the United States Postal Service. We believe your peace of mind is worth the extra cost to provide extra loss coverage and FedEx® service. A cost that we pay, not you.
- A heavy-duty polymer plastic bag with your unique tracking code. The bag is designed to protect your valuable items for shipping and includes your unique tracking number, which allows us to process your shipment in the most secure and transparent way possible.
Simply fill out the inventory card, detach and place with your items into the plastic bag and seal it, insert the plastic bag into the prepaid Tyvek™ envelope and call FedEx® to pick up your package right at your own door.
- What kinds of jewelry are acceptable through the Jewelry Brigade?
The Jewelry Brigade accepts any items containing precious metal, such as gold, platinum, or silver, or items containing gemstones.
Even if you have bent, dented, scrap or broken jewelry, items missing stones, unmatched gold earrings or scrap dental gold, the program is pleased to accept them.
- We are done collecting for the Jewelry Brigade; can we unsubscribe?
- At any time, you can log into your account on the TerraCycle website and you can easily unsubscribe. Just select the “BRIGADES” tab and then the option “Remove this Brigade” located under the Jewelry Brigade.