The Paired Shoe Brigade is a simple and effective way to repurpose your old shoes while earning rewards for your organization or the charity of your choice. Instead of throwing your old shoes away, be a “Goody Two-Shoes” and send them in to give them a second life. Each pair of shoes is diverted from landfills.
All acceptable paired shoes are re-purposed and resold “as-is,” which provides the lowest carbon footprint when considering solutions for your used footwear. With help from our partner, all of the usable sneakers and shoes are exported to developing countries where there is tremendous demand for affordable and sought-after footwear. Because these shoes are reused instead of recycled, this Brigade has standards for the shoes being sent in.
Participating in the Paired Shoe Brigade is totally free. Once you have joined the Brigade by clicking “Sign Up Now,” follow these simple steps to begin earning TerraCycle points:
- Collect enough acceptable pairs of shoes (see below for distinction) and fill up any box. Please note that you need to send in at least 25 pounds of paired shoes to earn TerraCycle points.
- Download a free shipping label from your online account. To access the label, click the red “SHIP US YOUR WASTE” button when you are signed in. You can print shipping labels out from the convenience of your own computer.
- Ship the box to TerraCycle by affixing the free postage label and dropping it off at any UPS location.
For more information, please check out the Paired Shoe Brigade FAQ.
Paired Shoe Brigade Accepted Waste: pairs of women’s, men’s, and children’s shoes, which may include athletic sneakers, fashion or casual sneakers, dress shoes, flats, high heels, boots, and cleats.
Check out the image below to see the types of waste that are NOT accepted through this Brigade program. You can also download this as a poster.
Paired Shoe Brigade UNACCEPTABLE waste:
- Completely broken or ruined footwear (footwear with visible holes or tears)
- Single shoes (even if they're in perfect condition)
- Roller blades or roller skates
- Ski boots or snowboarding boots
- Ice skates
- Sandals or flip-flops