Brigade: Personal Care & Beauty Brigade
Timeline: April and May
Prize: Bonus TerraCycle points
How to Win: Be one of the top ten collecting colleges or universities. Earn rewards for making your dorm cleanout eco-friendly.
Each year millions of personal care products and beauty product packages are needlessly discarded and end up in landfills. TerraCycle® is proud to partner with Garnier® to create a second life for these empty containers.
Every time you finish your personal care or beauty product we want you to save the packaging and send it in so we can recycle the material into fun and innovative products. For each approved item received, your collection location will be awarded two TerraCycle points which can be redeemed for a variety of charitable gifts or for a payment of $0.01 per point to the non-profit organization or school of your choice. Please click here to learn more about the TerraCycle Points Program!
Participating in a TerraCycle Brigade is totally free! There are no signup or participation fees, and the shipping is covered by the program. Once you have joined the Personal Care and Beauty Brigade®, simply follow the steps below to receive your TerraCycle points:
- Collect enough personal care and beauty products to fill up a box or bag (approved waste is listed below). Remember to reuse a shipping box or bag and use eco-friendly padding. Please note, you will need to send shipments that weigh at least 12 lbs in order to receive the TerraCycle point donation.
- Download a free shipping label from terracycle.com. To acquire a pre-paid label, simply access your TerraCycle account online, and click “SHIP US YOUR WASTE”. You can print them out yourself or request that TerraCycle send the label.
- Ship the box to TerraCycle by affixing the pre-paid postage label and dropping it off at a UPS location.
For more detailed information please check out the Personal Care and Beauty Brigade FAQ.
And to make collecting all your waste that much easier, download our helpful TerraCycle "Collect, Store and Ship Guide" for some tips and tricks that will make the collection process simple and mess-free. Also check out our Personal Care and Beauty Brigade Poster to help promote your efforts in this recycling program.
Check out the image below to see some examples of the types of waste that are accepted through this Brigade program. You can also download this as a poster.
Personal Care & Beauty Brigade accepted waste:
- Hair care packaging such as shampoo bottles and caps, conditioner bottles and caps, hair gel tubes and caps, hair spray bottles and triggers, and hair paste plastic jars and caps
- Skin care packaging such as lip balm tubes, face soap dispensers and tubes, face lotion bottles, tubes and plastic jars, body wash containers, soap tubes and dispensers, body lotion dispensers and bottles, shaving foam tubes (no cans), and hand lotion bottles and tubes
- Cosmetics packaging such as lipstick cases, lip gloss tubes, mascara tubes, eye shadow cases, bronzer cases, foundation packaging and bottles, powder cases, eyeliner cases, eyeliner pencils, eye shadow tubes, concealer tubes, concealer sticks, and lip liner pencils
Check out this awesome commercial by Brigade sponsor Garnier!