TerraCycle® and Sanford® Brands, a division of Newell Rubbermaid®, have partnered to create the Writing Instruments Brigade®, a free recycling program for used writing instruments, as well as a fundraising opportunity for participants.
Every time you Bring Life to Words™, with a Paper Mate® pen or Uncap What's Inside™, with your Sharpie® permanent marker, we want you to think about the environment and save used writing instruments to send them to TerraCycle. TerraCycle will convert the empty writing instruments and packaging into other fun and innovative products.
Participating is completely free and very easy. There are no signup or participation fees, and the shipping is covered by our brand partner. After joining the Writing Instruments Brigade, simply follow the steps below to recycle your waste with us:
- Join the program by clicking on the black button at the top of the sidebar.
- Collect writing instruments and fill up a box or bag. To earn TerraCycle points, remember that your shipments must weigh over 7 lbs (about 350 pieces) to receive the TerraCycle point donation.
- Download a free shipping label from your TerraCycle account. Click "Get Shipping Label" under the "Send Your Waste" option in the navigation bar at the top of this page.
- Ship the box to TerraCycle by affixing the free shipping label and dropping it off at a UPS location.
The following types of packaging are accepted through the Writing Instruments Brigade.
Writing Instruments Brigade accepted waste:
- Pens and pen caps
- Mechanical pencils
- Markers and marker caps
- Permanent markets and permanent marker caps
TerraCycle points are an added incentive to our recycling programs. Please read the information below about earning TerraCycle points for this specific Brigade program.
- Your shipment must weigh over 7 lbs (or approximately 350 pieces).
- You will be awarded two TerraCycle points for each unit of waste.
- Shipments may weigh less than 7 lbs, you simply will not earn TerraCycle points.
TerraCycle points can be redeemed for a variety of charitable gifts, product bundles, or a payment of $0.01 per point to the non-profit organization or school of your choice. For more information on our points program, click here.