KIMBERLY-CLARK PROFESSIONAL*, a global leader in contamination control solutions for cleanrooms and laboratories, has partnered with TerraCycle to reduce the amount of waste generated in our nation’s laboratories, pharmaceutical cleanrooms, and scientific facilities.
This recycling program is the first large-scale recycling system to be implemented for non-traditional cleanroom waste, including disposable garments and nitrile gloves. Using an innovative recycling technique, TerraCycle is able to recycle the collected garments into industrial plastic products, including plastic pallets.
KIMBERLY-CLARK PROFESSIONAL* customers can order the recycling program through approved distributors and receive a Welcome Kit with everything required to start recycling garments in their facilities.
How to participate in the Garment Brigade (click to expand/collapse)
**Please note that only locations that have been approved by a KIMBERLY-CLARK PROFESSIONAL* representative may participate**
- If you have been approved by a KIMBERLY-CLARK PROFESSIONAL* representative to collect cleanroom garments, click the "SIGN UP NOW” button.
- TerraCycle needs to confirm that your location has been approved to participate in this recycling program. This process can take up to 2 or 3 business days.
- Once confirmed, a TerraCycle representative will reach out to your location via email. Please have shipping details, such as hours of operations or lift gate requirements, readily available.
- A TerraCycle representative will ship a collection package (1 pallet of 144 collection boxes, posters, and EHS guidelines) to your location. Please note that this can take up to 2 or 3 business days.
- Begin collecting the cleanroom garments that are used at your location.
How to request a Garment Brigade pick-up (click to expand/collapse)
**Please note that only locations that have been approved by a KIMBERLY-CLARK PROFESSIONAL* representative can request a pick-up**
- Ensure that your location has arranged 12 boxes on a pallet before requesting a pick-up. Boxes should be packed in six stacks that are two boxes high. Only pallets with 12 boxes are considered compliant. Please note that non-compliant shipments are subject to additional fees.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a pick-up.
- To request additional collection packages, please email email@example.com.
Since the program’s launch in October 2011, participating cleanrooms and laboratories have sent in over tens of thousands of pounds of garment waste. An average participating location is collecting about 200 pounds of waste per week, which amounts to about five tons per year!
We believe the most significant and enduring change occurs when you engage team members proactively in the solution, and our innovative glove and apparel recycling program offers a powerful and simple way for our customers to get their employees positively involved and to make progress on exceeding solid waste reduction goals.
Randy Kates, Director of Global Scientific Business for KIMBERLY-CLARK PROFESSIONAL*