Thanks to the partnership between TerraCycle® and Athenos®, you can now send in your hummus containers and packaging. These containers will be turned into unique, environmentally-friendly products.
For each approved piece of hummus container waste, you will be awarded two TerraCycle points. These TerraCycle points can be redeemed for a variety of charitable gifts, or for a payment of $0.01 per point to the non-profit organization or school of your choice. Please click here to learn more about the TerraCycle Points Program.
Participating in the Hummus Container Brigade is totally free! There are no signup or participation fees and the shipping is covered by the program. Once you have joined the Hummus Container Brigade, simply follow the steps below to receive your TerraCycle points:
- Collect enough hummus container packaging to fill up a box or bag (approved waste is listed below). Remember to always reuse a shipping box or bag and completely fill your box to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Download a free shipping label from terracycle.com. To acquire a free shipping label, simply access your TerraCycle account online, and click “Ship Us Your Waste."
- Ship the box to TerraCycle by affixing the free shipping label to the box and dropping it off at a UPS location.
For more detailed information please check out the Hummus Container Brigade FAQ.
And to make collecting all your waste that much easier, download our helpful TerraCycle "Collect, Store and Ship Guide" for some tips and tricks that will make the collection process simple and mess-free. Also check out our Hummus Container Brigade Poster to help promote your collection efforts.
Check out the image below to see some examples of the types of waste that are accepted through this Brigade program. You can also download this as a poster.
Hummus Container Brigade accepted waste:
- Hummus containers and tubs
- Hummus container lids
- Hummus container foil tops and plastic film
- Hummus container outer plastic seals and other plastic packaging