New Hampshire Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

Quick Facts

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is required by law by the New Hampshire Dept. of Environmental Services
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is not allowed in New Hampshire
  • Prepaid bulb recycling by mail is allowed in New Hampshire

Select another state


Recycling Options Available in New Hampshire


Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping.

Start Now



For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling.

Schedule a Pickup


Detailed New Hampshire Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

The stringency table below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations. We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)


Jurisdiction: Federal EPA

Generator Exemption (CESQG): Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5)

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF)

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules.

Other stringency or exemptions? Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.


Jurisdiction: New Hampshire

Generator Exemption (CESQG): same

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste must go to RCRA Sub-C facility or state equivalent

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? same

Other stringency or exemptions? No crushing


State Regulatory Contacts


Paul Lockwood - Supervisor, Pollution Prevention Program

Agency Address: Dept. of Environmental Services, Waste Management Division, 29 Hazen Dr., Concord, NH 03301

Phone: (603) 271-2956




Holly Green - Regulation Compliance Specialist

Phone: (603) 271-2956

Area of Responsibility: Regulation questions


Todd Leedburg - RCRA Compliance Supervisor

Phone: (603) 271-2942

Area of Responsibility: Compliance


Eric Aberms - RCRA Compliance Specialist

Phone: (603) 271-7512

Area of Responsibility: Compliance


Stephanie D'Agostino - Pollution Prevention Coordinator

Phone: (334) 271-6398

Area of Responsibility: Implementing statewide mercury strategy


Dept. of Environmental Services Main Number

Phone: (603) 271-3503 (open Monday to Friday, 8am-4pm)


Hazardous Waste Compliance Hotline

Phone: (603) 271-2942 (open Monday to Friday, 8am-4pm)

Area of Responsibility: Regulation questions


More Resources