Quick Facts

  • Due to mercury concerns, non-residential facilities are required to recycle their fluorescent bulbs by the Connecticut Dept. of Environmental Protection
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is not allowed in Connecticut
  • Prepaid bulb recycling by mail is allowed in Connecticut

Select another state


Recycling Options Available in Connecticut


Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping.

Start Now



For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling.

Schedule a Pickup


Detailed Connecticut Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

The stringency table below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations. We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)


Jurisdiction: Federal EPA

Generator Exemption (CESQG): Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5)

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF)

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules.

Other stringency or exemptions? Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.


Jurisdiction: Connecticut

Generator Exemption (CESQG): No CESQG exemption

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste must go to RCRA Sub-C facility or state equivalent if shipped to a CT or out-of-state facility that is compliant with receiving state's requirements

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? No, the waste cannot be declared non-hazardous.

Other stringency or exemptions? No crushing by anyone without permit.


State Regulatory Contacts


Ross Bunnell - Sanitary Engineer 3

Agency Address: Department of Environmental Protection, Waste Engineering & Enforcement Division, 79 Elm St, Hartford, CT, 06106

Phone: (860) 424-3274

Email: ross.bunnell@ct.gov



Hazardous Waste Compliance Assistance ("COMPASS") Hotline

Phone: 1-888-424-4193

Available Mon - Fri, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm except for state and federal holidays


Mercury Hotline

Phone: (877) 537-2488

Area of Responsibility: Helps manufacturers to comply with the Mercury Education and Reduction Act


More Resources