Quick Facts

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is highly recommended by the Idaho Dept. of Environmental Protection and is required for many facilities throughout the state
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is allowed in Idaho
  • Prepaid recycling by mail is allowed in Idaho

Select another state


Recycling Options Available in Idaho


Crushes fluorescent lamps of any size while removing mercury vapors. Reduces labor, recycling costs, and storage vs. packing lamps.

Request Price



Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping.

Start Now



For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling.

Schedule a Pickup


Detailed Idaho Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

The stringency table below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations. We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)


Jurisdiction: Federal EPA

Generator Exemption (CESQG): Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5)

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF)

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules.

Other stringency or exemptions? Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.


Jurisdiction: Idaho

Generator Exemption (CESQG): same

Where can waste from CESQG go? same

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? same

Other stringency or exemptions? same


State Regulatory Contacts


Brian Monson - Hazardous Waste Program Manager

Agency Address: Department of Environmental Protection, Bureau of Remediation and Waste Management, Division of Oil and Hazardous Waste Facilities Regulation, Ray Building, Station 17, Augusta, ID 04333-0017

Phone: (208) 373-0490

Email: brian.monson@deq.idaho.gov



Chris Evans - Environmental Specialist

Phone: (207) 287-5514

Area of Responsibility: General Questions


Diana Mckenzie - Environmental Specialist

Phone: (207) 287-2651

Area of Responsibility: General Questions


John James - Policy Director

Phone: (207) 287-2651

Area of Responsibility: Mercury switch collection program


Mary Corr - Oil and Hazardous Materials Specialist

Phone: (207) 287-3545

Area of Responsibility: Hazardous waste enforcement, rule interpretation


Mike Hudson - Environmental Specialist

Phone: (207) 287-2651

Area of Responsibility: Enforcement


More Resources