Quick Facts

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is highly recommended by the Kansas Dept. of Health and Environment and is required for many facilities throughout the state
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is allowed in Kansas
  • Prepaid bulb recycling by mail is allowed in Kansas

Select another state


Recycling Options Available in Kansas


Crushes fluorescent lamps of any size while removing mercury vapors. Reduces labor, recycling costs, and storage vs. packing lamps.

Request Price



Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping.

Start Now



For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling.

Schedule a Pickup


Detailed Kansas Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

The stringency table below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations. We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)


Jurisdiction: Federal EPA

Generator Exemption (CESQG): Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5)

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF)

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules.

Other stringency or exemptions? Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.


Jurisdiction: Kansas

Generator Exemption (CESQG): Exemption only for <100 lamps per month (55 pounds)

Where can waste from CESQG go? same

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? same

Other stringency or exemptions? same


State Regulatory Contacts


Jim Rudeen - Compliance, Assistance & Enforcement Section Officer

Agency Address: Department of Health and the Environment, Bureau of Waste Management, Waste Compliance and Enforcement Policy Section, 1000 SW Jackson, Suite 320, Topeka, KS 66612

Phone: (785) 296-1603



Joe Cronin - Permit Engineer

Phone: (785) 296-1667

Area of Responsibility: Permits for industrial solid waste facilities


Mostafa Kamal - Chief

Phone: (785) 296-1609

Area of Responsibility: Permits for hazardous waste TSD facilities


Rodney Ferguson - Unit Chief Markets and Development

Phone: (785) 291-3746

Area of Responsibility: Recyclers contact


Dept. of Health and Environment Main Number

Phone: (785) 296-1500


Toll Free Number

Phone: 1-800-282-9790


More Resources