Quick Facts

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is highly recommended by the Michigan Dept. of Environmental Quality and is required for many facilities throughout the state
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is allowed in Michigan with a permit to operate/install
  • Prepaid recycling by mail is allowed in Michigan

Select another state


Recycling Options Available in Michigan


Crushes fluorescent lamps of any size while removing mercury vapors. Reduces labor, recycling costs, and storage vs. packing lamps.

Request Price



Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping.

Start Now



For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling.

Schedule a Pickup


Detailed Michigan Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

The stringency table below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations. We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)


Jurisdiction: Federal EPA

Generator Exemption (CESQG): Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5)

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF)

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules.

Other stringency or exemptions? Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.


Jurisdiction: Michigan

Generator Exemption (CESQG): same

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste must go to RCRA Sub-C facility or state licensed MSWLF

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? same

Other stringency or exemptions? Permit to operate/install required


State Regulatory Contacts


Jack Schinderle - Waste Classifications Specialist

Agency Address: Dept. of Environmental Quality, Waste and Hazardous Material Division, PO Box 30241, Lansing, MI 48909

Phone: (517) 373-8410

Email: [email protected]



Steve Kratzer - Mercury Pollution Prevention Specialist

Phone: (517) 373-0939

Area of Responsibility: Recycling programs


Division Phone Number

Phone: (517) 335-2690


Environmental Assistance Hotline

Phone: 1-800-662-9278

Area of Responsibility: Environmental Assistance Center


Anita Singh - Office of Pollution Prevention and Compliance Assistance (OPPCA)

Phone: (517) 335-2356

Email: [email protected]

Area of Responsibility: Air permitting


Christine Grossman - OPPCA

Phone: (517) 373-0590

Email: [email protected]

Area of Responsibility: Waste regulations


Joy Taylor Morgan - Air Quality Division (AQD)

Phone: (517) 335-6974

Email: [email protected]

Area of Responsibility: Mercury


More Resources

  • Drum-Top Bulb Crusher Guidance Paper
  • Drum-Top Bulb Crusher Guidance Letter
  • Guidance Paper (PDF)
  • Universal Waste Fact Sheet
  • Fact Sheet for Lamps
  • Michigan Dept. of Environmental Quality Home Page