Quick Facts

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is required by law by the Minnesota Dept. of Environmental Quality
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is not allowed in Minnesota
  • Prepaid bulb recycling by mail is allowed in Minnesota

Select another state


Recycling Options Available in Minnesota


Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping.

Start Now



For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling.

Schedule a Pickup


Detailed Minnesota Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

The stringency table below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations. We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)


Jurisdiction: Federal EPA

Generator Exemption (CESQG): Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5)

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF)

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules.

Other stringency or exemptions? Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.


Jurisdiction: Minnesota

Generator Exemption (CESQG): No CESQG exemption

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste must go to RCRA Sub-C facility or state equivalent recycler

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? No, waste cannot be declared non-hazardous

Other stringency or exemptions? Crushing by generator requires permit


State Regulatory Contacts


Melissa Wenzel - Pollution Control Specialist

Agency Address: Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, Customer Assistance, 520 Lafayette Rd St. Paul, MN 55155

Phone: (651) 296-5763

Email: melissa.wenzel@pca.state.mn.us



Tom Townsend - Engineer

Phone: (651) 297-8375

Area of Responsibility: Compliance agreements for recycling facilities


John Gilkeson - Problem Materials Program, Minnesota Office of Environmental Assistance

Phone: (651) 215-0199


MPCA Main Number

Phone: (651) 296-6300 or (800) 657-3864


More Resources