Quick Facts

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is highly recommended by the Missouri Dept. of Natural Resources and is required for most facilities throughout the state
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is not allowed in Missouri
  • Prepaid bulb recycling by mail is allowed in Missouri

Select another state


Recycling Options Available in Missouri


Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping.

Start Now



For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling.

Schedule a Pickup


Detailed Missouri Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

The stringency table below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations. We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)


Jurisdiction: Federal EPA

Generator Exemption (CESQG): Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5)

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF)

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules.

Other stringency or exemptions? Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.


Jurisdiction: Missouri

Generator Exemption (CESQG): No CESQG

Where can waste from CESQG go? same

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? same

Other stringency or exemptions? No crushing


State Regulatory Contacts


David Goggins - Environmental Specialist

Agency Address: Department of Natural Resources, Division Of Environmental Quality, Outreach and Assistance Office, Pollution Prevention Unit, PO Box 176 Jefferson City, MO 65102

Phone: (573) 526-6627

Email: david.goggins@dnr.mo.gov



Daniel Cary - Environmental Engineer

Phone: (573) 751-3553

Area of Responsibility: Works with permitting of recycling facilities


Kathy Flippin - Chief of Hazardous Waste Enforcement Unit

Phone: (573) 751-2347

Area of Responsibility: New rules and regulations-UWR contact


Keith Bertels - Environmental Specialist

Phone: (573) 751-2032

Area of Responsibility: Enforcement of hazardous waste laws


Environmental Assistance Office

Phone: 1-800-361-4827


More Resources