Quick Facts

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is highly recommended by the Nevada Division of Environmental Protection and is required for many facilities throughout the state
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is allowed in Nevada
  • Prepaid bulb recycling by mail is allowed in Nevada

Select another state


Recycling Options Available in Nevada


Crushes fluorescent lamps of any size while removing mercury vapors. Reduces labor, recycling costs, and storage vs. packing lamps.

Request Price



Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping.

Start Now



For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling.

Schedule a Pickup


Detailed Nevada Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

The stringency table below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations. We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)


Jurisdiction: Federal EPA

Generator Exemption (CESQG): Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5)

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF)

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules.

Other stringency or exemptions? Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.


Jurisdiction: Nevada

Generator Exemption (CESQG): No CESQG exemption

Where can waste from CESQG go? same

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? same

Other stringency or exemptions? same


State Regulatory Contacts


Evan Chambers - Compliance and Enforcement Supervisor

Agency Address: Division of Environmental Protection, Bureau of Waste Mangement, 901 S Stewart St, Ste 4001, Carson City, NV 89701

Phone: (775) 687-9473

Email: echamber@ndep.nv.gov



Nicole Goehring - Northern Nevada Recycling Coordinator

Phone: (775) 687-9466

Email: ngoehring@ndep.nv.gov


Rachel Lewison - Southern Nevada Recycling Coordinator

Phone: (702) 486-2850 x268

Email: rlewison@ndep.nv.gov


Christopher Lynch - Business Environmental Program (BEP), Director

Phone: 1-800-882-3233

Email: clynch@unr.edu


NDEP - Administrative Front Office (Main Number)

Phone: (775) 687-4670


Nevada Recycling Hotline

Phone: 1-800-597-5865


More Resources