Quick Facts

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is highly recommended by the North Dakota Dept. of Health and is required for many facilities throughout the state
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is allowed in North Dakota
  • Prepaid bulb recycling by mail is allowed in North Dakota

Select another state


Recycling Options Available in North Dakota


Crushes fluorescent lamps of any size while removing mercury vapors. Reduces labor, recycling costs, and storage vs. packing lamps.

Request Price



Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping.

Start Now



For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling.

Schedule a Pickup


Detailed North Dakota Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

The stringency table below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations. We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)


Jurisdiction: Federal EPA

Generator Exemption (CESQG): Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5)

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF)

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules.

Other stringency or exemptions? Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.


Jurisdiction: North Dakota

Generator Exemption (CESQG): same

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste must go to RCRA Sub-C facility or state equivalent

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? same

Other stringency or exemptions? same


State Regulatory Contacts


Kent Belland - Pollution Prevention Coordinator

Agency Address: North Dakota Department of Health, Environmental Health Section, 1200 Missouri Ave P.O. Box 5520 Bismark, ND 58506

Phone: (701) 328-5166

Email: kbelland@state.nd.us



Conrad Carlson - Environmental Specialist

Phone: (334) 271-7743

Area of Responsibility: Compliance and enforcement


Gerold Hardy - Chief of Land Division

Phone: (334) 271-7730

Area of Responsibility: All solid and hazardous waste and UWR issues


ADEM Main Number

Phone: (334) 271-7700


More Resources