Quick Facts

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is highly recommended by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection and is required for many facilities throughout the state
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is not allowed in Pennsylvania
  • Prepaid bulb recycling by mail is allowed in Pennsylvania

Select another state


Recycling Options Available in Alabama


Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping.

Start Now



For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling.

Schedule a Pickup


Detailed Pennsylvania Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

The stringency table below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations. We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)


Jurisdiction: Federal EPA

Generator Exemption (CESQG): Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5)

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF)

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules.

Other stringency or exemptions? Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.


Jurisdiction: Pennsylvania

Generator Exemption (CESQG): same

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste must go to RCRA Sub-C facility or state equivalent

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? same

Other stringency or exemptions? No crushing allowed


State Regulatory Contacts


Kevin Beer - Solid Waste Program Specialist

Agency Address: Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, Bureau of Waste Management, Division of Hazardous Waste Management, P.O. Box 8471, Harrisburg, PA 17105

Phone: (717) 787-6239

Email: kbeer@state.pa.us



Melissa Gross - Solid Waste Program Specialist Supervisor

Phone: (717) 787-6239

Area of Responsibility: Compliance & Information Management


Recycling Toll Free



More Resources