Quick Facts

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is required by law by the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management for all non-residential facilities
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is not allowed in Rhode Island
  • Prepaid bulb recycling by mail is allowed in Rhode Island

Select another state


Recycling Options Available in Rhode Island


Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping.

Start Now



For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling.

Schedule a Pickup


Detailed Rhode Island Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

The stringency table below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations. We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)


Jurisdiction: Federal EPA

Generator Exemption (CESQG): Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5)

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF)

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules.

Other stringency or exemptions? Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.


Jurisdiction: Rhode Island

Generator Exemption (CESQG): No CESQG exemption

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste must go to RCRA Sub-C facility or state equivalent

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? No, waste cannot be declared non-hazardous after 7/05. Until 7/05, only if generator has specific test data that the lamps pass TCLP.

Other stringency or exemptions? Crushing by generator requires permit


State Regulatory Contacts


Beverly Migliore - Supervising Environmental Scientist

Agency Address: Department of Environmental Management, Office of Technical and Customer Assistance, 235 Promenade St, Suite 250 Providence, RI 02908

Phone: (401) 222-4700 ext.7503

Email: bmiglio1@dem.state.ri.us



Thomas Armstrong - Principal Environmental Planner

Phone: (401) 222-4700 ext.4412

Area of Responsibility: Pollution prevention


Chris Shafer - Environmental Scientist

Phone: (401) 222-2797 ext.7511

Area of Responsibility: Solid waste facility management


Waste Mangement Office Main Number

Phone: (401) 222-2797


More Resources