Quick Facts

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is highly recommended by the South Carolina Dept. of Health and Environmental Control and is required for many facilities throughout the state
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is allowed in South Carolina
  • Prepaid bulb recycling by mail is allowed in South Carolina

Select another state


Recycling Options Available in South Carolina


Crushes fluorescent lamps of any size while removing mercury vapors. Reduces labor, recycling costs, and storage vs. packing lamps.

Request Price



Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping.

Start Now



For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling.

Schedule a Pickup


Detailed Alabama Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

The stringency table below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations. We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)


Jurisdiction: Federal EPA

Generator Exemption (CESQG): Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5)

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF)

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules.

Other stringency or exemptions? Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.


Jurisdiction: South Carolina

Generator Exemption (CESQG): same

Where can waste from CESQG go? same

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? same

Other stringency or exemptions? same


State Regulatory Contacts


Carroll Burley - Environmental Health Manager

Agency Address: Department of Health and Environmental Control, 2600 Bull St. Columbia, SC 29201

Phone: (803) 896-4141

Email: burleycc@dhec.sc.gov



Karen Owens - Business Recyling Assistance Program, Dept. of Commerce

Phone: (803) 737-0239

Area of Responsibility: Business recycling


Bob Burgess - Waste Minimization Section

Phone: (803) 896-8986

Area of Responsibility: Business recycling


Pam Bergstrand - Hydrogeologist

Phone: (803) 896-4236

Area of Responsibility: Recycling questions


Shelley Sherritt - Section Manager, Operating Engineering Section

Phone: (803) 896-4189

Area of Responsibility: Permitting


Willy Morgan - Permitting liaison

Phone: (803) 896-8983

Area of Responsibility: Permitting


Richard Chesley - Section Manager, Technical Assistance

Phone: (803) 896-4209

Area of Responsibility: Recycling questions


Eric Melaro - Program Coordinator

Phone: (803) 896-4231

Area of Responsibility: Recycling questions


DHEC Main Number



More Resources