Quick Facts

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is required by law by the Vermont Dept. of Environmental Conservation
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is not allowed in Vermont
  • Prepaid bulb recycling by mail is allowed in Vermont

Select another state


Recycling Options Available in Vermont


Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping.

Start Now



For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling.

Schedule a Pickup


Detailed Vermont Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

The stringency table below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations. We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)


Jurisdiction: Federal EPA

Generator Exemption (CESQG): Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5)

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF)

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules.

Other stringency or exemptions? Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.


Jurisdiction: Vermont

Generator Exemption (CESQG): No CESQG exemption

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste must go to RCRA Sub-C facility or state equivalent

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? No, in addition, mercury-containing lamps, which are labeled with oHgö or other mercury identifier, are banned from landfill disposal regardless of mercury content.

Other stringency or exemptions? same


State Regulatory Contacts


Tom Benoit - Hazardous Materials Specialist

Agency Address: Dept. of Environmental Conservation, Agency of Natural Resources, Environmental Assistance Division, 103 S. Main St., Waterbury, VT, 05676

Phone: (802) 241-3472

Email: thomas.benoit@anr.state.vt.us



Gary Gulka - Chief of Waste Prevention Section

Phone: (802) 241-3626

Area of Responsibility: Recycling policy, regulations


Karen Busshart - Manager of Mercury Project

Phone: (802) 241-3455

Area of Responsibility: Education, lamp labeling


Toll Free - Pollution Prevention Hotline

Phone: 1-800-974-9559 (only within state; 8-5 M-F)


More Resources

  • Universal Waste Rule
  • Mercury Page
  • Agency Web Site
  • Disposal of Lamps Containing Mercury Guide