Quick Facts

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is highly recommended by the Utah Dept. of Environmental Quality and is required for many facilities throughout the state
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is allowed in Utah
  • Prepaid bulb recycling by mail is allowed in Utah

Select another state


Recycling Options Available in Utah


Crushes fluorescent lamps of any size while removing mercury vapors. Reduces labor, recycling costs, and storage vs. packing lamps.

Request Price



Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping.

Start Now



For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling.

Schedule a Pickup


Detailed Utah Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

The stringency table below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations. We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)


Jurisdiction: Federal EPA

Generator Exemption (CESQG): Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5)

Where can waste from CESQG go? Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF)

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules.

Other stringency or exemptions? Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.


Jurisdiction: Utah

Generator Exemption (CESQG): Waste must go to RCRA Sub-C facility or state equivalent

Where can waste from CESQG go? same

Can the waste be declared non-hazardous, based on TCLP? same

Other stringency or exemptions? same


State Regulatory Contacts


Alex Pashley - Environmental Scientist

Agency Address: Utah Department of Environmental Quality, Solid and Hazardous Waste Division, 288 N. 1460 W., 144880, Salt Lake City, UT 84114-4880

Phone: (801) 538-6170

Email: [email protected]



Blake Robertson - Environmental Engineer

Phone: (801) 538-6170

Area of Responsibility: Handles PCB's in lamp ballasts; indirectly involved in lamp recycling


Dorothy Adams - Hazardous Waste Program Coordinator

Phone: (801) 313-6745

Area of Responsibility: CESQG'S household hazardous waste in Salt Lake County


Ed Deputy - Environmental Scientist

Phone: (801) 538-6793

Area of Responsibility: Outreach to hazardous waste generators, SQG'S and CESQG'S


Jay Richardson - Environmental Scientist

Phone: (801) 538-6170

Area of Responsibility: Pollution prevention


Jon Perry - Environmental Scientist

Phone: (801) 538-6170

Area of Responsibility: Regulatory questions, electronic recycling


Rusty Lundberg - Manager, Solid Waste Branch

Phone: (801) 538-6170

Area of Responsibility: Regulatory/policy development


EDQ Main Number

Phone: (801) 536-4402


More Resources