Each and every year, the products we use everyday to make our bodies clean, our teeth bright and shiny, and keep us smelling fresh, end up being thrown away after use and ultimately end up in a landfill.
Tom’s of Maine, a leader in natural oral and personal care products, and pioneer in environmental stewardship since 1970, has partnered with eco-innovator TerraCycle® to provide a second life for empty and used toothpaste tubes, toothbrushes, floss containers, mouthwash bottles, soap packaging, and antiperspirant and deodorant containers. Together we can convert these would-be waste materials into fun and unique products!
For each approved item received, your collection location will be awarded two TerraCycle points which can be redeemed for a variety of charity gifts or for a payment of $0.01 per point to the school or non-profit organization of your choice. Please click here to learn more about the TerraCycle Points Program!
Participating in a TerraCycle Brigade is totally free! There are no signup or participation fees, and the shipping is covered by the program. Once you have joined the Tom's of Maine Natural Care Brigade, simply follow the steps below to receive your TerraCycle points:
- Collect enough approved items to fill up a box or bag (approved waste is listed below). Remember to reuse a shipping box or bag and use eco-friendly padding.
- Download a free shipping label from terracycle.com. To acquire a pre-paid label, simply access your TerraCycle account online, and click “SHIP US YOUR WASTE”. You can print them out yourself or request that TerraCycle send the label.
- Ship the box to TerraCycle by affixing the pre-paid postage label and dropping it off at a UPS location.
For more detailed information please check out the Tom's of Maine Natural Care Brigade FAQ.
And to make collecting all your waste that much easier, download our helpful TerraCycle "Collect, Store and Ship Guide" for some tips and tricks that will make the collection process simple and mess-free. Also check out our Tom's of Maine Natural Care Brigade Poster to help promote your recycling efforts at your collection location.
Check out the image below to see some examples of the types of waste that are accepted through this Brigade program. You can also download this as a poster.
Tom's of Maine Natural Care Brigade accepted waste:
- Mouthwash bottles and caps
- Deodorant containers and caps
- Toothpaste tubes and caps
- Soap packaging
- Floss containers
Please note: This Brigade does not accept aerosol deodorant cans.
Want to know what happens to your natural care waste after you send it to TerraCycle? Check out the short video below.