Learn more about public drop-off locations below!
A public drop-off location is a place with a collection bin where members of the public can drop off hard-to-recycle waste to be recycled by TerraCycle®. A public drop-off location is typically set up and managed by a single person or a small group of people (known as administrator(s)). The administrator(s) will be in charge of managing the public drop-off location, sending the waste to TerraCycle® and deciding how earned points will be distributed.
To find a public drop-off location for your chosen programme (applicable for most of them), please go to the programme page and scroll down to use the interactive map where all locations are listed.
As each map is updated regularly, we advise you check the details of the chosen location (full address, opening hours and location of collection box at the site) before dropping your waste.
To set up a public drop-off location, please follow the steps below:
1. Start by finding a place to set up your public drop-off location and check with the person responsible of the site first (if applicable). Example locations could be your home, local supermarket, school or community facility. Please note we might need to verify this information later on.
2. Complete the public drop-off application form found on the programme page.
3. Check the ‘How it Works’ section on the programme page as each recycling programme is slightly different. Further steps to complete your application may be required.
4. Wait for confirmation from us via email.
5. Once approved, check if you will be collecting waste in commercial premises. If so, you will need to provide us with a waste transfer note. This a quick form you need to fill out and send us to help with the traceability of waste. *Please see further down the page for more information.
6. Finally, place a collection box in the chosen location to start collecting waste!
You can only register one public drop-off location per account per programme and a minimum of 5 miles distance between each public drop-off location is required (unless stated otherwise on the programme page). If any of the public drop-off location details change, please notify the Customer Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Freephone 01465 915018 and they will update the details online.
If your application to set up a new public drop-off location has been accepted and you intend to collect waste in a commercial premises (a property that is considered a business location, such as a shop, school, charity or church) you will need to sign an annual waste transfer note before sending your first parcels of the year. This is an official way of tracking where your waste is coming from and going to and ensures you are compliant with the Duty of Care legislation. You can access it here, and if you need help filling it out (we’ve done most of it for you, to make it even easier), use our handy guide which can be found here.
1. Collecting more waste will allow you to earn more TerraCycle® points, which means larger donations for the organisation of your choice.
2. Having a greater positive environmental impact by sending in larger, more efficient shipments as fewer transport trips will be needed.
3. Creating your own recycling facility nearby in a convenient place for you and your community, so no inconvenient trips to other public drop-off locations occur!
Click here to read more about the benefits.
There are useful resources on the TerraCycle® website, including Accepted Waste and Promotional Posters, to promote your drop-off location. Public drop-off location administrators will be notified if collection boxes are available.